Home wine making process is easy with the right equipment. I have had many people ask me about the winemaking equipment I have and how to get started.
Basic winemaking equipment -
- Open top food-grade plastic drums with lids that can be sealed
- This allows for open top fermentation with the lids sitting on top to keep anything out.
- Once the grapes have been pressed and MLF has finished, the drums can be sealed for wine storage.
- Citric Acid
- For cleaning/sanitation.
- PMS (potassium metabisulphite)
- Cleaning/sanitation and of course protecting the wine.
- Basket Press
- I bought this from an Italian family, a fantastic piece of history. Homemade wine basket press and a great size for making wine at home. I would say it has 300L capacity and easily pressed my 500kg in one go.
- Wine titrators
- Sulphur Dioxide
- I hired a cylinder of CO2 ongoing, this helps protect the wine while being stored or transferred.
- Octaves or 100L topping barrels
- I bought these to match the size of my plastic drums and means I can keep each batch separate.
- These are used for managing ullage of your barrels and storage vessels.
- Electric blanket
- for keeping the ferments warm and keeping MLF going during the cold winter nights.
As you can see the list is pretty basic, you really don't need much.